Friday, August 5, 2011

A Sell-Out In Bend

On Tuesday 3,016 fans filled Vince Genna Stadium for the final 2$ Tuesday of the regular season.  Obviously this was good for the team but also for me because I purchased a new lens a week earlier and I really wanted a full stadium to take photos of.


I missed the first couple of innings so when I got into the stadium I went strait to the field to check out the score and what the presentation was all about. Good thing I did because the owner wanted a few shots of the little league team that the Elks honored that night. 

This is just a shot of the team coming off the field, nothing special.

After that I went strait into shooting the game itself.

Here Michael Benjamin hits a home run over the left field fence. I don't know what I was thinking when I took this because obviously the shot isn't level. Yes its different but I'm not sure its the good kind of different.
Michael Benjamin, is met by his teammate at home plate after hitting a 3-run home run.


While walking around the extremely packed stadium I noticed a small gap between the fence and the Elks dugout that faced right at the second basemen. This made me take notice of some cool looking light shining on the player so I waited for him to make a play. This was the resulting shot. 





I mentioned earlier that I bought a new lens. The lens I bought is something I have wanted for at least three years now so I am very excited to finally have it in my arsenal. For years I used a CHEAP 18-55mm that came with my Rebel xti about 5 years ago and that was the widest lens I owned (keep in mind that is 18mm on a cropped sensor) and it left me wanting more in the frame all the time. So this summer I got myself a Sigma 8-16mm lens and I have fallen in love with it. Here is an example of the difference it makes. The first photo was shot with the old lens during the 4th of July game this summer and the second was taken with the Sigma on Tuesday.
Obviously with the distortion that it creates it isn't good for all situations but I still love this lens.
Here is another example, the first photo was taken on the 3rd of July in Corvallis at Goss stadium and the  second photo was taken after the all-star game in late July in the same stadium.
I could keep posting before and after photos but I think you get the point so I won't continue. And that is it for this post. I really have not clue what the next post will cover, maybe something involving my summer internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment