Monday, July 25, 2011

Cascade Cycling Classic

If you aren't getting yelled at then you aren't trying hard enough... 


Usually when I get yelled at by someone at an event it is because I pushed the limits of where I can stand. On Sunday I managed to get yelled at by a photographer and multiple race volunteers. This usually wouldn't bother me but one of these confrontations was with a lady that said I was in the path of the cyclist... I was clearly standing behind a tree. I don't think they are going to run over the tree.

Another scolding came from a photographer who stopped on his moto after I had staked out my spot to shot from then as the cyclists came into view he yelled at me for getting in his way. WTF? These run-ins with volunteers continued throughout the race.

The irritating part of this was that these were people who most likely have no power in their everyday lives and on this one day they had the power to tell people what to do because they were wearing a vest that said race volunteer/photographer. SO FRUSTRATING!! Anyway here are a few quick snaps of the final stage of the 2011 Cascade Cycling Classic.






Every summer I try to shoot as much of the Cascade Cycling Classic as I can. In years past I have had a job that allows me to take time off and follow the racing around Central Oregon but this year I have an internship and only had one day off to go shoot the race. Since I didn't get a chance to cover it this year here is a photo gallery from last year to give you a better idea of the great racing that takes place.

2 comments:

  1. I got scolded by a Security person at a Ballpark for "sitting" on the ledge of a retaining wall so I could get the proper angle for a shot. I felt frustrated by the imposition of power when I clearly was out of harms way! But I did get my shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned that it is better to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission.

    ReplyDelete